
Imagine sitting in a awkward position during your Yoga class and peaking to see a 6'2 athletic toned black guy stumbling into your session 7mins late. That's what I imagined the lady I positioned myself to was thinking when she looked at me in confusion. Why the hell was Benson Mensah-Bonsu walking into Yoga class 7mins late?
1. It's National Yoga Week
2. It's Free
3. It's requirement for me
4. I'm late a majority of the time
I stepped into the class and I felt like an outcast because I was part of the 6.3% of males in the class and I was the only black guy.
Awkward, I know.
But imagine trying to lay your mat down and as soon as you pick your head up, all you can see is butts at every angle. In order for me to fully take in this experience, I had to step out of my current mindset. From the get go, I knew it was going to require some flexibility and athleticism. I wasn't aware that it would take some serious concentration. I was in there for 15mins and I was dripping sweat while in my "Kneeling Pigeon" position.
Once the session was over, I was relieved. Everyone else in the class were smiling there faces off and I was trying to recover from my physical coma.
The instructor came up to me and said,"the first time always hurts but they get better". In response, I raised my eyebrows in despair. I was wondering why these people were so happy after the session. It took me an hour to realize that yoga does something to the body to make it feel good. I felt so good through out the day.vdvdvvdvdvgdsgvsdbdfbdfsbfbdbcxbcxbcXBcxbcxb
Benson Mensah- Bonsu is a sophomore studying Marketing and Sports, Events & Hospitality Management
No comments:
Post a Comment