
Part 1
It was another day in D.C, just like any other since I left Brooklyn. It was humid, then cold and the street signs couldn’t make up their mind if they wanted to be letters, numbers or states.
Then in a New York type moment, one of my friends hits me up saying there's something cool happening later that night. It was so random and it included free stuff, so I was like yeah! We took the colorful metro system and get off at DuPont Circle. At this point, I was a bit off confused about what type of fun, I was about to enjoy at DuPont Circle.
As the rain drizzled, people talking outside, cars cruising down the street I was beginning to feel like is was in NYC. And then we ended going down the wrong way on Florida Ave. because we didn’t cross H St. on 18th St.
Finally we made it to 1781 Florida Ave NW. I walked into the store; I had just walked into Robin Thicke’s CD release party. Free food, important people, regular people, music, and a good vibe, I got lucky. Here I was at an exclusive event, that people only knew of word of mouth, on top of that all, they allowed me in.
As I sat there munching on shrimp, stacking up the free stuff and shaking hands with people I won’t see again unless I become famous, I realized stuff liked this only happened to me in NY. It’s only in a place like NY, where regular people can end up chilling with famous and important people. The thought then jumped into my head, I’m not in NY, this happened to me in D.C
I guess it wasn’t like another day like in D.C. Matter fact that day, was very much like NY, I met this Puerto Rican guy, who ended giving me a deal on a couple of shirts from Commonwealth, a store next to the party.
Come back next week for more tales from Kwasi L.H. Agyeman
Kwasi L.H. Agyeman is a freshman majoring in history.
No comments:
Post a Comment