
If you don't know who Soulja Boy is, or the dance to the hit song 'Superman dat ho', I would like to know is it comfortable under that rock you have been living under. And at times I wonder after listening to this boy's music if I shouldn't go take a vacation under a rock myself. Just the other day I had the audacity to watch his new music video 'Marco Polo' featuring an angry little chihuahua by the name of Bow Wow to its entirety. While watching it, my head started to nod to the beat, my one shoulder bounce soon followed, and before you know it I was jamming.
I was ashamed.
I can't help myself. No matter how many stupid songs this boy comes out with, it catches on fire and spreads to the masses, like a fake Wendy William's polyester suit soaked in gasoline found at your local liquor store (you know the ones that have leopard print cat suits hanging next to the 40s). People who swear they hate his music are the first ones on the dance floor…don't front, I saw you!
And the last thing I want to do is call him a music artist. The mere thought of me calling him talented makes me queasy. And then again, the word artist is relative. If I go by my definition of an artist which would be, being creative and producing some type of entity from that creativity then yes Soulja boy is an artist. He has creatively been able to produce hit songs from the crappiest rap lyrics. Puff Daddy wasn't even this bad.
So what makes Soulja Boy so different from other rappers out here trying to making it in the music business? What does he have that these other rappers don't? Well for one, people always like group dancing songs. I mean what's a party without the tootsie roll and the booty call? But unlike others who created those dance fazes, and faded away (like that cupid shuffle guy) what else was it that made Soulja Boy the it boy?
I couldn't answer the question myself so I asked around. Unanimously everyone I asked says it's because he has catchy lyrics. I was always told, the hook could make a song or break a song. So I guess that's the answer people. Simple as that. The hooks are so stupid that their good.
With that, me and my roommate got a track coming out called '1 fish, 2 fish, b****tch, red fish, gold fish, hoooo' on our cd called Pooper Scooper. We call ourselves Disnay (not 'ey' but 'ay) Channel, and you can cop our album at the liquor store near campus.
Get At Me
Sade Chase Marshall
Music Reporter
2 comments:
This is funny and simply true. I like it.
Post a Comment